Have you been making masks?
Join our challenge and make a mask quilt!
Mask making has been a major force in quilters’ lives as the pandemic has evolved, and quilters have been a major force in the lives of others with the masks they are making. In addition, masks have become a potent symbol of many elements of who we are as individuals and a nation. To explore that, we are offering this group activity. With Stitch Central as our sponsor, we will form a quilting pod in which all of us who participate will make a mask-themed wall hanging. The mask rectangle is kind of a billboard, so it’s the perfect shape for a statement, whether you want to say something social, political, personal or just plain aesthetic! Or you might focus on a shaped mask of some sort. That’s up to you.
To join the fun:
- Make a 20”x20” or, if you prefer a rectangle, a 20”x32” mask-themed wall hanging
- Attend optional socially distanced shopping opportunity at Stitch Central July 14, 10 a.m. Safety first and foremost. We’ll discuss details.
- Log-in to Zoom meetups in July and August. In our first, we will discuss all the details and address all questions. I’ll show you my samples then, too.
- Meet the threadline: Sept. 1
- Be part of judged competition with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ribbons and Viewer’s Choice
- Be part of outdoor exhibition at Stitch Central Sept. 19, in celebration of the shop’s second birthday. Again. Safety first. We will discuss how this might work as we see what we face heading into early September.
- Donate your work for sale of wall hangings for Philabundance if you wish. This is an optional aspect we can explore as we talk for those interested. No pressure!
- Purchase of 1 yard of fabric from Stitch Central, or more. Add more of your own if you wish. Piece, appliqué, embroider, or otherwise embellish a mask wall hanging.
- Sign-up Fee: $10. Send to kjw via ApplePay, PayPal or snail mail check.
- The pod is limited to 15. If we don’t have at least 10 interested, we won’t proceed.
email Kathryn Jenson White at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign-up and/or with questions.
NOTE that dates mentioned here are for event milestones or deadlines, and may not be in-person meetings.